Save Our Voice Actors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Save Our Voice Actors

An organization dedicated to giving the original Pokémon cast a chance to work on Pokémon again!

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» The return of SOVA
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime15th November 2011, 5:30 pm by Bluelatios

» You've all made a great site
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime16th February 2011, 4:22 am by Johny_lovin_it

» SOVA Wi-Fi Battle Arena/League
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime14th March 2009, 7:04 pm by iEatPikachuForLunch

» Hello everyone in SOVA
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime14th March 2009, 7:03 pm by iEatPikachuForLunch

» We've moved to our own server!!!!
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime20th August 2008, 10:51 pm by Tommy

» Move the Forum?
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime20th August 2008, 6:56 pm by Mitch

» State Fairs
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime20th August 2008, 6:45 pm by Ben_darkpikachu02

» Back to school 2008-2009
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime20th August 2008, 6:18 pm by Ben_darkpikachu02

» The YouTube thread
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th August 2008, 11:26 pm by iEatPikachuForLunch

» SOVA's New Section The Wi-Fi Club
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th August 2008, 10:03 pm by Mitch

» Worst Voice Acting Ever
Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th August 2008, 5:35 pm by Ben_darkpikachu02

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Other stuff that needs to be "saved"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ker-plop
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
ker-plop

Male Number of posts : 190
User Title : Alienated Fan
D/P Friend Code : 0344 6242 9554
BR Friend Code : None
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Empty
PostSubject: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th April 2008, 9:52 pm

Does anyone have any other things they're adamant about keeping in a certain way? You might say I'm a bit of a fundamentalist as far as stories go (unless they really, really sucked)...

When I was growing up, the original Super NES version of "Final Fantasy VI" set a precedent of quality, innovation and style that I've yet to see matched by today's RPGs. Its Playstation port had a few flaws (slowdown and choppy music, mostly), but overall it was the same, and I appreciated that; it proved that this game was so good that it needed no changes.

However, I cannot call this GBA remake anything short of a crime against its original version. It has been changed in all the wrong places, and the new material is a pitiable attempt at compensation.

My problems with it are as follows:

-Only one save slot. Enough said. (RETRACTION: There are three... though it isn't obvious.)

-The character scripts have been unnecessarily rewritten in some places, and their dialogue now is far too blunt and wordy (a problem with many RPGs these days). They lose some of their colorful personalities because of this.

-The names of some characters, Espers, items, weapons and even monsters have been changed completely to resemble the names from newer "Final Fantasy" titles ("Pug" is now "Tonberry" and "Cactrot" is now "Cactuar," to name a few). This was as unnecessary as it is insulting to the gamers who grew up with it. What's wrong with giving some enemies silly names?

-Numerous tricks were removed, making the game's battles less fun and more frustrating. Most notably, the game's bosses are no longer susceptible to the popular "Vanish/Doom" combo... and neither are the enemies in popular level-building locations of the past (such as Intangir and Tyranosaurus). Leveling up isn't half as fun when it's only half as fast.

-Some enemies' stats have been altered, which messes up the vintage gamers (for example, all Mount Zozo enemies now dodge your attacks easily).

-Facial art is added in for when your characters speak... but it's the artwork made by Yoshitaka Amano, whose work I personally have never liked. I much prefer envisioning the characters as their sprites show them, but this makes it that much more difficult.

So that's me. I say that games are a form of literature too, and if nobody rewrites Shakespeare, nobody should rewrite these... or get rid of the fun glitches.

Last edited by ker-plop on 20th April 2008, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~kerplop
Tommy
SOVA's Zeo Ranger 5
SOVA's Zeo Ranger 5
Tommy

Male Number of posts : 699
User Title : It's Morphin' Time!!

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th April 2008, 9:58 pm

You know, I'm not a Final Fantasy fan but I know what you're saying. Most of the GBA remakes of games from past consoles aren't as good. I know I have a couple remakes like Donkey Kong Kountry and I don't care for them as much as the original SNES games.
Back to top Go down
http://brian-banker.livejournal.com
ker-plop
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
ker-plop

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime19th April 2008, 10:27 pm

If only the GBA could emulate the music as well... but my main beef is with the unnecessary changes.
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Male Number of posts : 100
User Title : Hobo Attorney
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime28th April 2008, 6:31 am

That's strange. The GBA is perfectly capable of emulating SNES music and sound effects. In fact, the GBA Donkey Kong Country games have superior quality sound and music compared to the SNES. The only GBA port I have seen that has poor quality music and sound would be Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, a horrible, HORRIBLE remake of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. If you see it, do not buy it. It sucks really bad.
Back to top Go down
Tommy
SOVA's Zeo Ranger 5
SOVA's Zeo Ranger 5
Tommy

Male Number of posts : 699
User Title : It's Morphin' Time!!

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime28th April 2008, 8:50 am

Well, I'm not really saying it was terrible, however I'd rather play the original SNES version. For some reason it even seemed that it was harder for the GBA, I mean not including the bosses or anything but just the gameplay itself seemed harder. Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://brian-banker.livejournal.com
Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Male Number of posts : 100
User Title : Hobo Attorney
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime28th April 2008, 9:04 am

Well, if it was harder, I could only imagine that it's either because of the resolution adjustment or the changed controls. I never played the GBA version, and I didn't really like the SNES version anyways, I only know this because I did a little research.
Back to top Go down
Ben_darkpikachu02
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
Ben_darkpikachu02

Male Number of posts : 151
User Title : SOVA's Dark Knight
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime10th May 2008, 4:47 pm

I have played the fan translation of FFVI that was done by the emulation translation group, RPGOne, on an emulator and it is the best translation available. Terra's original Japanese name was Tina, for example. Also, the fan translation of FFV is the best translation available, according to Gamespot.

Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ben_darkpikachu02
Pokémon Trainer Shane

Male Number of posts : 163
User Title : XD375
D/P Friend Code : Not currently available, come back in late June
BR Friend Code : 0044-2314-1874

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime10th May 2008, 11:18 pm

The Donkey Kong Country games had better music on the SNES. :/

To be honest, I think the third game did the best job with music though. Instead of having decreased quality, they just rescored the entire game. This gave us even more work from David Wise...

...even though it phailed in comparison to his old work.

What I'm saying is while I prefer the old music in DKC3, that's what I have my SNES game for. I'm all up for some new music to listen to, as long as it's tasteful. I think new music is better than old music with decreased quality.
Back to top Go down
Ben_darkpikachu02
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
Ben_darkpikachu02

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime11th May 2008, 9:38 am

The only SNES to GBA conversions that had music that was close to the originals were Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance and Super Mario World GBA. Square Enix and Nintendo did a good job converting the music on those.

Ben
Back to top Go down
ker-plop
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
ker-plop

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime11th May 2008, 11:48 am

Ben_darkpikachu02 wrote:
The only SNES to GBA conversions that had music that was close to the originals were Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance and Super Mario World GBA. Square Enix and Nintendo did a good job converting the music on those.

Ben

Err... I disagree on the FF6 one. It's choppy and doesn't sound half as good as it did before. That's partly what I opened this thread complaining about. If you heard the SNES tracks, then listened to the GBA ones, you'd hear what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Ben_darkpikachu02
SOVA Supporter
SOVA Supporter
Ben_darkpikachu02

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime11th May 2008, 3:56 pm

There was a 3D version of Tales Of Phantasia for the PSOne that I have a translation patch for and it isn't that bad. It is based off of the Tales of Destiny programming engine.

Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other stuff that needs to be "saved"   Other stuff that needs to be "saved" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Other stuff that needs to be "saved"
Page 1 of 1